Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Light of the world

Today, I was challenged. Challenged to reassess what is actually meaningful. Challenged, not just to talk and write about life and light and transformation, but to fully actualize it. It may have been the best thing all week.

Walking down the street, I am confronted by a homeless woman, not asking for spare change, not asking for someone to give her a helping hand, but something much simpler and more direct. All she asked was that I pay attention. So I did. Not knowing at first what was going on, but then realizing that I was being asked by her and G-d himself at the same time to be the light of the world and shine in a little bit of the darkness.

All she said was how she lived in the park and had no friends and had been abused and wanted to move in with someone, but no one would allow it until she could pay and how she gets hope from seeing young people around and how she is so happy to see so much possibility and how she can't keep going on like this.

"What's your name?", she asked. "Way", I said. "Can I pray for you?", I asked. Didn't even have to do the whole silver and gold have I none bit. Humbling. She didn't even have to answer. So I prayed and prayed. The words don't matter much, only that The Divine Personality wanted to come through and shine rite then and there. And so it did. Arms outstretched like the Christ on the cross him self, we embraced before the whole world and the world had no idea. How could it? It is more interested in complaining about this or that midterm or about who dumped who, and how so and so is so self centered, and if any of you are thinking the same thing as you read this, you don't deserve such consideration on my part as to have written this for you. OK, so I am being harsh. I can because I don't care. So shove it!

Anyway, divine love needed to be expressed. It needed a host. It needed to shine. Right place, right time I guess. Thanks is all I can really give. Thanks to be a part of the kingdom then and there. Thanks to be carried by that holy wind into the cave of suffering and blow out the dust a little. Life and light and freedom. Freedom to live. Living to shine that light. This is our rite and more than than, it is who we are. So shine in the darkness. Make that love known. This is what we do.

No comments: